We now offer the opportunity for a limited number of people to become a studio member. This is designed to provide a follow on from taking a course, for those with a basic level of skills who would like to continue making ceramics untutored.
This is £60 per month per person, paid in advance by direct debit.
For this you get the following: up to 25 hours of studio hire per month, access to tools and equipment, firings, and basic materials- stoneware, earthenware, slips and glaze. Temporary storage space will be available for work in progress. Also included: occasional technical support and advice, your clay recycled for you, and a discount on tuition and scheduled courses. The studio hire slots are scheduled at differing times/days Tuesday to Saturday, but with 2-3 available slots each week on average. There is at least one evening or a Saturday each week. To check out the current times please visit the studio hire page in eventbrite.
To enquire please fill out the form. If you haven’t been to the studio before drop us an email and we will arrange a visit to the studio first.
The small print-
- The membership is for adults who have been on a course (either with us or elsewhere), have a basic level of knowledge and are comfortable working with clay independently. While its not aimed at professional ceramic makers, it is suitable for artists from other disciplines who want to work with clay, or recent graduates.
- Payment is by DD on the 1st or the 15th of each month, and you can cancel at anytime giving us a months notice.
- Access is only at specified times, and must be booked in advance through eventbrite.
- Cancellation/transfer to another session must be arranged in advance.
- We have three wheels, benches for handbuilding, banding wheels, small tools, press moulds, misc items such boards (it doesn’t include use of the plaster area). You may wish to use the glaze mixing area if you have had tuition already in this.
- Basic materials are included. For porcelain, specialist glazes, decals, lustres etc you are welcome to buy your own. We can advise where to order materials. (Sorry- no slip casting, plaster or paperclay!)
- There is an allocated area to work in, and temporary shelf space for work in progress.
- Firing will be carried out for you; we offer tuition to those who want to learn how to load and fire kilns.
- If you wish to book tuition or a course, you will get a discount of 10%.
- The space is an open plan artists studio and teaching space, and so we would ask that those using it will need to be respectful of others and the equipment and work there.
- Space in the communal area will be ready to use when you arrive, and we would ask that members clean up their area before the end of their session.
- The slots for each month will be posted up by the end of the previous month if not earlier. When the studio is shut for a length of time ie over Christmas or holidays, there will be more slots available before and after these shutdown times. We will do our best to accommodate particular days/times.
- Due to potentially hazardous materials, tools and equipment, for health and safety reasons we are not able to accommodate those with additional support needs or young people under 17.